When it comes to your health and exercise, running, skipping, jumping rope and hopping can become rather boring.
On top of that, it could injure your joints. However, a way to save your joints and get exercise too is to start cycling.
Yes, you read correctly! Riding a bike, which is a low-impact exercise, can save your joints and help you lose weight. It can help in reducing your stress levels and increase your fitness level. There are so many benefits behind cycling that it’s an idea that should never be readily dismissed.
6 All-Important Reasons to Add Cycling To Your Exercise Routine
Cycling will help improve both your mental and physical health, decreasing the possibility of a number of health problems. What kinds of problems could be solved by adding cycling to your exercise routine?
1 – Arthritis and Bone Injuries
With cycling, you improve your balance, coordination and strength. The exercise can also help in the preventing breaks, fractures and falls. If you’re suffering with osteoarthritis, cycling’s low-impact exercise ensures little stress is place on your joints. It doesn’t actually help with osteoporosis, which is a disease that causes the bones to thin, since it’s not an actual weight-bearing workout.
2 – Cancer
Researchers have looked at the relationship between cancer and exercise. They’ve looked closely at exercise and breast and colon cancer. According to various studies, cycling reduces your chances of developing bowel cancer. And, some studies have suggested that exercising on a regular basis will decrease the chance for breast cancer.
3 – Cardiovascular Disease
Cycling on a regular basis can decrease your chances of suffering a heart attack, high blood pressure and stroke (cardiovascular disease). How so? It can decrease your blood fat levels, reduce your resting pulse and toughens up the heart muscles. According to research, cyclers are generally less exposed to pollution than commuters, meaning an increase in lung capacity.
4 – Diabetes
The number of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes is on the rise, and a key reason for it is the lack of physical activity. According to research, people who cycle 30 minutes every day reduced their chances for diabetes by 40 percent.
5 – Mental Health
Cycling on a regular basis can significantly reduce a person’s chances of developing depression and bettering their abilities to handle stress and anxiety.
6 – Obesity/Weight Control
Cycling is an effective way to drop the weight for several reasons:
- Increases metabolic rate
- Builds muscle
- Scorches body fat
If you’re looking to lose weight, you must a healthy eating plan with the cycling program. Keep in mind to slowly up the intensity and time of your cycling routine until you are comfortable.
According to research, you should burn around 2,000 calories each week doing exercise. Cycling can burn at least 300 calories every hour. Cycle two times a day, and those calories can add up quickly.
A Brief Overlook at Why You Should Cycle
- It is low-impact and it doesn’t result in injuries, commonly seen with high-impact aerobic exercises.
- It exercises the major muscle groups while you pedal. According to research, you can get healthier with cycling than with walking.
- It can increase your strength and stamina.
- It doesn’t demand a lot of physical skill, because most people can already ride a bike.
- You can slowly up the intensity level; helpful if you’re recovering from an illness or injury.
- A fun and enjoyable way to get exercise. Cycling down the coastal hills or other scenic routes is more enjoyable than engaging in the physical activities that keep you inside the gym.
- Cycling is a healthy form of transport and replaces the long sedentary time spent on buses, trains, trams, or cars.
- Regular use of a bicycle helps to reduce stress levels and promote relaxation.
- Use gravity training (carry extra weight), gradient, gearing, wind-resistance, and speed to help tailor a cycling session to match the fitness level or intend goal.
- All body exercise is achieved with climbing (out of the saddle) or mountain biking. A cycling session with enough gradients in the route helps to constantly shift weight to improve core stability, abs, chest, and arms.
- A regular bike session helps to improve co-ordination and balance
- A cycle ride has the potential to burn 300 to 500 calories per hour to aid in weight control.